When it comes to states across the nation, a lot of people don’t realize that some states are taking measures to help their residents. There are a variety of opportunities across many states. The number of states may be surprising, and you may even see your state on the list! Some states have already provided their stimulus while other states still have time for people to qualify up until late 2022. However, it is important to remember that the best place to confirm this is by checking out information provided directly by your state’s government.
Your Guide to Which States are Providing Stimulus Support
First, make sure to check out what is available for your specific state through your state’s government website! That’s where they will have the most up-to-date information on what opportunities may be available for you. However, this list will cover some states that are providing a stimulus opportunity to their residents:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
If you are a resident in Colorado you may be able to get some stimulus relief thanks to a rebate check opportunity. The amount of these rebate checks depends on the tax filing status of the resident:
- Single filers can get a rebate check for $400
- Joint filers can get a rebate check for $800
While these are the amounts right now, they have an opportunity to increase. The amounts can increase if the state’s revenue is more than expected. To qualify for this opportunity, residents will need to have their taxes filed or apply for the PTC rebate by June 30th, 2022. Those that were able to submit by the deadline can expect to see the funds by September 2022.
While qualifying residents in Delaware were able to get a one-time direct payment of $300 starting in May 2022, there are still payments on the way. Eligible residents that haven’t received their checks can still expect them to be provided during the summertime. One of the perks of this stimulus opportunity is the fact that those that qualify won’t need to take any extra action to receive their payment.
Georgia has an opportunity for its residents to get a stimulus rebate payment. However, it is only available to eligible residents that filed their 2020 and 2021 tax returns. The amount that they can get will depend on their filing status. For example:
- Married couples filing jointly could get $500
- Head of household filers could get $375
- Single filers could get $250
- Married couples filing separately could get $250
Taxpayers that filed their taxes by April 18th, 2022 can expect to have their payment provided by August 2022. If you have any questions about this stimulus opportunity you will need to get in touch with the Department of Revenue for Georgia.
When people think of Hawaii, they may not think of a state that is providing a stimulus opportunity to its residents! Besides providing a stimulus opportunity, Hawaii took it a step further. They have plans to increase their minimum wage for the upcoming years.
First, let’s check out the available stimulus opportunity. Residents can get a tax rebate stimulus. The amount they get will depend on their income:
- Residents that made over $100,000 annually can get $100
- Residents that made under $100,000 annually can get $300
There is not an exact time frame yet for when this stimulus will go out. However, the Hawaii Department of Taxation expects the payments to go out during the end of August around the last week.
Besides providing stimulus support, we also want to highlight the minimum wage changes that Hawaii has planned. Starting on October 1st, 2022 their minimum wage will rise to $12 an hour from $10 an hour. However, every two years it will increase! That means:
- $14 will be the minimum hourly wage starting January 1st, 2024
- $16 will be the minimum hourly wage starting January 1st, 2026
- $18 will be the minimum hourly wage starting January 1st, 2028
Residents that live in Idaho have the opportunity for stimulus through the form of a rebate. The funds will be given by direct deposit or a paper check. The rebate amount will be the larger option out of the following:
- $75 per taxpayer and each dependent of the taxpayer
- 12% of the reported tax amount that was indicated on the tax filer’s Form 40
- 12% of the reported tax amount that was indicated on the tax filer’s Form 43 (as long as they were a qualifying service member)
Not everyone will be able to qualify. Only residents that can qualify are those that:
- Filed an Idaho individual tax income return (or Form 24) for 2020 and 2021
- Were a full-year resident for those years
Illinois residents will have the opportunity for a stimulus check of up to $400! The amount of the stimulus check will depend on a couple of factors. These factors include the resident’s tax filing status and the number of dependents they have. For example:
- Single filers can get $50 if they did not make over $200,000 for the year 2021
- Couples that are filing jointly can get $100 if they did not make over $400,000 for the year 2021
- Up to three dependents of the tax filer can get $100 each if they were claimed on the filer’s 2021 taxes
Residents can expect Illinois to certify the list of taxpayers that will qualify for payments after the date of July 5th, 2022. Those that could be eligible should expect to get the checks during the second half of the year.
Qualifying residents in Indiana have the chance to get a one-time tax refund of up to $250. The funds will come by direct deposit or a paper check. This opportunity is available through the “Use of Excess Reserves” law. A perk of this stimulus opportunity is the fact that residents have the chance to automatically qualify. They can automatically qualify if they filed their 2020 Indiana resident tax return with either a Form IT-40PNR, Form IT-40, or Form SC-40. They must have done this by January 3rd, 2022.
Even though payments began going out in May 2022, they will continue to be provided into the summer. Those that are expecting a payment should wait until September 1st, 2022. Eligible residents that don’t get their payment by that date will need to get more information from the Department of Revenue for Indiana.
Maine residents have a stimulus opportunity that could provide a tax return worth up to $1,700. Not every resident will be eligible. Instead, only residents that can qualify are those that:
- Are not a dependent
- Have a qualifying Federal adjusted gross income (FAGI)
- Had their 2021 taxes filed by October 31st, 2022
As tax returns come in, payments will be given out. However, the first round of returns went out in June 2022.
Not every state on this list has more than one opportunity for stimulus support, but New Mexico has three for its residents! Their three opportunities include:
- Giving relief payments of up to $1,000 to qualifying residents that didn’t file an income tax return. An application must be submitted to receive this opportunity. Those that were able to apply can expect to receive their funds by July 3rd, 2022.
- Providing a refundable tax credit of up to $500 to qualifying taxpayers that meet income requirements. Those that are eligible can expect to get this credit by July 2022.
- Providing a refundable tax credit worth up to $500 to qualifying taxpayers that filed a 2021 personal income tax return. The funds won’t come all at once. Instead, they will come in parts. The first part will come in June 2022 while the second part will come in August 2022.
This is a state that wants to focus its support efforts on those that had a hard time during the height of the pandemic. That is why they have Frontline Worker Pay. However, to benefit from this option, residents will need to apply by July 22nd, 2022. Specific eligibility requirements will be detailed in the Frontline Worker Pay law. However, residents may be able to qualify if they:
- Were employed at least 120 hours in Minnesota during a specific time frame in an eligible sector
- Didn’t get unemployment insurance (UI) benefits for over 20 weeks on a cumulative schedule for a specific time frame
- Had a qualifying income for a minimum of 12 months during a specific timeframe
South Carolina has a stimulus opportunity that is giving eligible residents of the state up to $800 in the form of a tax refund. Those that are eligible can expect their refund to be sent by December 2022. Sadly, not every resident will be eligible. Those that didn’t pay income taxes will not qualify.
Residents in Virginia have the opportunity to get some stimulus support in the form of a rebate. The amount of the rebate will be up to $500. The funds will be sent by direct deposit or a paper check. However, those that want to benefit will need to have their taxes filed no later than November 1st, 2022. Qualifying residents that were able to file their taxes before the deadline of July 1st, 2022 can expect to get their payment by October 2022.
Don’t See Your State on The Above List?
Even if you don’t see your state listed above, you don’t need to count yourself out just yet for additional stimulus support. That’s because states received funds from the American Rescue Plan. This legislation gives states until 2024 to get a plan together to use the funds they received. States have to spend the funds by 2026. That means states may still decide to provide additional stimulus to their residents.
Surprisingly, many Americans don’t know that a lot of states across the country are providing additional stimulus support to their residents. This includes the following states:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
However, if your state is not on the list above, there is still a chance for you to get additional stimulus support. That’s because states received funds from the American Rescue Plan. States will need to figure out how to spend these funds by 2024 and spend them by 2026. There is still time. We also want to remind you that to get the best, most accurate, and up-to-date information, you will need to check out your state’s government website. This will have the information you need on any potential relevant opportunities!